Dubai is one of the cities in the world with the most vibrant party life. It goes without saying that a DJ is the life of any party hence our focus on DJ jobs in Dubai. One may forget every other detail about an event but not how they felt about it.
Whether you want to hire a great DJ for your next event or you are a potential DJ who wants to know more about DJ jobs in Dubai, this is the right plug for you.
How to be a DJ in Dubai?
Even before we jump into the practical steps of what you need to do, it is essential to ensure that you have the right attitude for this work. DJ work looks fun and enjoyable to the core, which it is, but at the same time, it is undeniably an art that will require a passion and skills for moving from beginner to expert.
Let us find out what you need to do and not do to become a DJ in Dubai.
Step 1: Take some Lessons
You can consider attending one of the DJ Academies in Dubai or check on online DJ courses. Such will provide you with a great platform to learn and hone your skill for those at the intermediate level.
To get more DJ jobs in Dubai, you always have to put your best foot forward, and one of the things that can help you achieve this is attending a DJ academy. You do not have to worry about time since most of them provide very flexible class appointments, which you can fit appropriately depending on your daily schedule.
Some of the DJ academies in Dubai that you can consider include:
- DJ Academy, you can check out their site on www.DJ-academy.ae.
- Studio9 Productions LLC; website www.studio9dxb.com.
- Dubai Music School; website: www.dubaimusicschool.com
- DJ Young Roge in Dubai; website: www.djentertaining.com.
- DJ Kel Events SAE Institute Dubai; website: www.djkel.ae
- Lotus Educational Institute FZ-LLC; website: www.lotus.ae.
- Crystal Music Institute; website: www.crystalmusicdubai.com
- Melodica Music Center; website: www.melodica.ae
Step 2: Get the equipment
As a beginner, you do not have to go for super high-tech gear. This depends on your budget, though. The most crucial equipment that you need include:
- A mixer
- An RCA cable
- DJ cartridges
- Some vinyls
Step 3: Get Signed
A great way to get good signage is through your network in this field. One way to grow your network would be attending events like the Dubai Music Conference, where you can meet music labels like Suara, Toolroom, and Kitball. By attending such a conference and participating in the workshops, you would be surprised where that takes you.
Step 4: Watch a Pro
Working as an apprentice goes a long way in learning skills that you may not get directly from a book. Especially because music is more hands-on than theoretical, being intentional in finding a career mentor is the first step in leaping into this industry.
Finding DJ Jobs in Dubai
DJ jobs in Dubai are widely available and, at the same time, extremely competitive. Being able to indulge crowds with quality music continually is a stepping-stone towards making your DJ brand great.
There are three ways that one can maneuver the DJ job market in Dubai. These include:
- Being fully employed in a hospitality institution.
- Signing up to an agency
- Working as freelance DJ
Let us look into each one of these options.
i. Being fully employed in an institution
Working as a DJ provides you with many fields that you can choose to work from. These range from radio, hotels, television, clubs, events like corporate parties or weddings, and the list is limitless.
The condition with being permanently attached to a particular institution is that you have to be available within the contracted times. An advantage is that you get consistent pay regardless of events that happen within a given duration. But, it depends on the terms of agreement with the employer when you are signing up at the end of the day.
ii. Signing up to an agency
Finding a popular agency to sign up to can be a guarantee for consistent work. This is because they are already structured, and they have classified their personnel according to their area of expertise.
They also provide quick solutions for customers looking for DJ services according to various events. A good example would be DJ Hash Dubai, who provides specialties in:
- Hash club hits
- Event blaster
- Multi-genre DJs
- Mixes and podcast.
More of these DJ options include:
iii. Working as freelance DJ
Being a freelancer means working independently as an independent contractor. This calls for a lot of dedication and commitment to be able to grow your brand and do good business.
Firstly, you need to establish an independent business under your name. You are permitted to operate such a business in the whole of the United Arab Emirates, including Dubai, with the right license. Let us look at some pros and cons of being a freelance DJ in Dubai.
- Free zones with the application process being easy and straightforward
- Availability of plenty of jobs as the need for freelance DJs surpasses the number of available DJs in the market. This makes it possible for you to also choose from the gigs that suit your skill level and compensation.
- Flexibility as you can finally bid goodbye to the 9-5 jobs.
- Access to company formation helps you take care of the entire application procedure.
- You do not have to quit your current job.
- Government support
- Difficulty in accessing quality equipment.
- It can be an expensive venture to acquire a license, take care of your upkeep, and support your business, especially when it is just starting.
- You have to undertake thorough market research to understand your clients and competitors.
DJ salary in Dubai
We have discovered that the DJ jobs in Dubai are remarkably diverse. This informs how much you can earn as a DJ according to your field. Other factors that determine the amount you earn include skills, gender, and location. Highlighted below are estimates of how much you can earn depending on your field.
- Freelance DJs earn a median annual salary of $30,080.
- Radio DJs earn an average gross salary of 174 465 AED per annum.
- Other DJs earn an average of between 5,920 AED and 18,300 AED per month, including housing, transport, and other benefits.
DJ jobs in Dubai are available, and there is a high possibility to earn good money at the end of the day. You first need to maximize on building your skills and brand and then get yourself recognized in the market by delivering world-class DJ services.
Once you learn how to connect with your audience and deliver great content, you will have a sound footing in this market. Another way to go far as a DJ in Dubai is to network with like-minded individuals who will also help put your name on the map.
It is a fun, worthwhile, and adventurous job to take at the end of the day. DJ jobs in Dubai are competitive but you can easily get hired or hire the best for your event if you keen enough.