Embracing freelance photography as a beginner can be a tough job because of the complicated terms that come with the subject. Digital photography refers to how we use electronic and computing devices to take, change, and share digital pictures. Some people define digital photography as an art and science since it involves the production and manipulation of digital images.
For that reason, art and science are full of several technologies providing computer-based and electronic photography services. How we use our smartphones to capture, create, edit, and share digital photos brings to life the technology in digital photography. Along with the simplicity in producing images, this art primarily helps to publish digital pictures across various platforms including on the internet and computers.
What Is A Digital Photograph, And How Do We Store It?
A digital photograph is what you get when you use a digital camera to produce a picture. While the primary storage of digital images is in the bitmap or BMP format, there are other formats like JPEG and PNG, which can vary from one device to the other and from technology to technology, depending on individual user requirements. A digital image substitutes conventional microfilm by providing standard storage devices like media cards.
Learning how digital images work as a freelance photographer in Dubai is a crucial step in understanding digital photography as a whole. The BMP file represents small dots that make a full image when you view it from a distance. Further, the bitmap breaks down an image into the tiniest units possible known as pixel counts.
After that, BMP stores the color detail or color depth in each pixel, which displays as rows and columns. You can make a bitmap image more complex through:
- Enlarging the rows and columns forming the image
- Changing the intensity of color on each dot
Have you ever wondered why, when magnifying a bitmap image, it eventually converts to a pixelated format? The dots often resolve into rows and columns containing tiny squares of color.
The Enabling Technologies for Digital Photography
Since you cannot separate electronic and computing devices from digital photographs, you will want to learn the most popular technologies that enable digital photography. While wide-ranging technologies are falling in this category, the primary ones include:
- Electronic and digital cameras: You would require a digital or automatic device to produce images. The tools come with built-in media cards for image storage. Your phone is an excellent example of a digital camera. The pictures go into the phone’s integrated memory, from where you can access, edit, and publish or share.
- Computing appliances: In most cases, the computing appliances attach to a personal computer or laptop to capture and process images. The illustrations include a scanner and a webcam. The scanner captures existing physical images such as papers and cards, which it then sends to a computer through a wired connection. A webcam integrates with a laptop or computer to take live pictures or record videos.
- Image processing software: With digital photography, you can adjust the original picture in so many ways. Enabling these modifications is purpose-built software that can change the brightness, texture, color, and many other attributes of the image.
Unlike analog pictures, you can produce digital photographs in various ways:
- Straight from a digital camera
- Indirectly by capturing video frames
- Through scanning conventional photos
What Can You Do With A Digital Image?
Once you obtain a photograph in digital format, you have an endless list of options concerning what follows. Most people will put their creativity to work by applying a wide selection of special effects to the photo using an image-processing tool. How much you can enhance the image will depend on the program at your disposal.
In addition to the enhancing software, your expertise in using the specific application will determine the changes you can make. You can find free, downloadable photo enhancing apps on the internet. We are always taking professional photos on Android phones and enhancing the images with free apps. Nevertheless, you would have to invest in paid applications with enhanced features for professional digital photography creations.
Many of the paid enhancing programs are brimming with useful features stretching beyond a digital photographer’s field. For instance, programs such as Matlab, Adobe Photoshop CC, and CorelDRAW Graphics integrate programming, visualization, and computation. The applications are in demand by digital photographers, web developers, and designers, along with video professionals.
After improving your digital images, you can print them out on the regular printer and paper or send them to a developing studio with better equipment for printing on photographic paper.
Image Resolution: Digital vs. Film
Even though the resolution of digital images is not nearly as high as photographic film images, digital photography is suitable when you want instant, low-resolution pictures. Digital photographs are particularly useful in today’s online industry that is always displaying images on the World Wide Web. Web designs and graphics need to be in a low-resolution format to allow fast loading of pages and speedy downloads.
How The Digital Camera Works In The Simplest Words Ever
Do not dismay if you are a digital photography beginner. You can easily understand your digital camera and why the exposure triangle settings work the way they do. You can try learning the parameters of your camera from the perspective of the human eye:
- The camera sensor is the human brain, which receives data and information.
- The ISO can explain how sensitive your eye is to light. A higher ISO number means more sensitivity to the eye.
- The camera aperture is similar to the pupil of your eye. The wider the camera aperture means a lower f/stop number, which allows more light into the eye.
- Aperture overexposure is similar to when you are in an environment where the pupil dilates more to compensate for low light. Everything is too bright as you step out, and the pupil gets smaller, adjusting to so much light.
- However, when you go back to the low-lit area, everything becomes too dark, meaning underexposed for the aperture. You must allow a moment for your eye’s aperture or pupil to open up and let in light.
- The shutter speed is similar to blinking. The slower your eye blinks, the more the light is getting in, and the faster it blinks, the less the light is getting in the eye.
As painfully simple as it seems, your camera settings do not get too much complicated than this; only the explanations do. Any beginner should now understand what digital photography is and how their digital camera works. There are plenty of how-to guides for beginner freelance photographers who wish to improve the depth of field and image quality. The guide here adds to your vocabulary and provides an excellent start on mastering the basics of digital photography.
Whether you are shooting with your first digital camera or need to learn more complex terms, there is plenty of information to gather here on Bawabba. We are an online community providing free resources to freelancers, the pros and newbies alike to pursue their careers in diverse fields. Along with tips in our resourceful blog, consider signing up as a freelance photographer in Dubai to connect with clients in the UAE.